Friday, April 15, 2011

Springtime Rambling

Springtime and I are no longer friends.  I used to eagerly anticipate the season's arrival after the dreary, cold months of winter.  The sound of birds singing, the glimpse of sunshine, the warmer temperatures...  No more.  Now spring welcomes me with a one-two punch of seasonal allergies that feels like a neverending cold and energy drain.  When the sneezing fits end, the itchy eyes, alternately running and congested nose and the lethargy take over.  In short, friendship over. 
A downside of allergies, is losing my senses of smell and taste.  This makes cooking a little like walking blindfolded.  Fortunately, my boyfriend will eat anything.  I've been a little off with flavoring and overcooked a few things lately.  He just smiles and tells me it's wonderful, and so is he.  Knowing he likes Greek flavors, I tried to bring a bit of springtime into our dinner.  A little brighter in flavor, a little lighter in cooking style. 
 I cheated and bought spanakopita from Trader Joe's. 
I think he's renamed these spankies. 
Whatever you call them, they're little pockets of spinach and feta goodness.
 I like skewers. 
Kalamata olive, mozzarella, tomato, salami, chorizo with a basil-oregano oil
I marinated pork loin and chicken legs in lemon, garlic, oregano, basil and olive oil.  If I had a grill, they would have been much better.  Instead I roasted everything in the oven with some baby yukon potatoes.  With bell pepper, zucchini and a tzatziki sauce, we had a little bit of spring for dinner..  Sadly my pork was overcooked, I think it is better on the medium-rare side with more pink, but the leftover meat was nice thinly sliced for sandwiches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment