Friday, April 8, 2011

Lunch Bentos

I'm still getting to know the new kitchen.  The oven and I have yet to make friends, and I think I may name it Smokey.  When my boyfriend does not have a lunch meeting, I like to pack up a bento for him with some leftover items from our dinner.
Monday's Bento
Steamed rice, umeboshi, gai lan (Chinese broccoli), fried zucchini slices and karaage.  We picked up the gai lan at Great Wall and it's a very versatile vegetable.  It's more popular in Cantonese cooking, which is why we often see it at dim sum. Japanese karaage is delicious hot or cold.  The chicken is marinated in soy, ginger and sake, and then coated in corn starch and fried.  Dark meat has the best flavor.
Today's Bento
Quinoa, asparagus, cod with tomato-olive tapenade, strawberries and turkey mini-hot dogs.  After my boyfriend's coworker made fun of him, I decided not to boil them into octopus-dogs again (but they're so super cute).

No comments:

Post a Comment