Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cava Mezza on Capitol Hill

I love Greek food. I've been dreaming about Santorini for years. One day I'll make it there. Until then, there's Cava Mezze Restaurant. http://www.cavamezze.com/ I like the location in Eastern Market/Capitol Hill and look forward to having a closer one in Clarendon. Best place to sit is outside on their patio. Inside, it's very dark and very loud. I like to go with friends who enjoy sharing food. If you guard your plate and ward off tasters with your fork, we're not meant to be food friends. About 2 per person is a good starting point, later add another if you find yourself not bursting at the seams.
Eggplant dip - roasted baby eggplant with garlic, herbs and olive oil.
Taramosalata - whipped salmon roe...so fluffy, light and utterly delicious with warm pita bread. Spanakopita - spinach and feta wrapped in phyllo dough
Grilled baby octopus - so tender and delicious with a spritz of lemon juice
Pan-seared jumbo scallops on a mushroom risotto
Cava Mac and Cheese - papadelle pasta with Greek cheese and arugula
Spicy lamb sliders with jalapeno, feta, frisee and Greek yogurt.
***
I've also tried the Saganaki, which is very theatrical with the flames shooting towards the ceiling, but this is more a dish for the eyes than the stomach. The crazy feta is good, but I can only eat a little bit. The mini gyro pita is a misnomer, as the plate includes 3 gyros and is not very mini. The chicken souvlaki was dry and I wouldn't order it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment