Saturday, April 28, 2012

Spring Brunch

Springtime has come to the farmers' market. I invited a friend over for an impromptu brunch and then needed to figure out what to make that was seasonal, healthy and delicious. I even woke up early enough to visit the Old Town Alexandria farmers' market. 
The market had ramps!
Ramps are a wild leek and only available for a short period in the spring.
With some ramps, fresh asparagus and free range eggs from the farmers' market, I made a springtime quiche with a bit of goat cheese.
 
Light spring salad with orange bell peppers and balsamic vinaigrette.
A homemade salad dressing brings this to life, with dijon mustard, good balsamic vinegar, olive oil and herbs, shaken in a Totoro salad dressing cruet that was a gift from one of my fiancee's kind coworkers.
Main Platter
Hard-boiled eggs from the farmers' market, roasted asparagus and pork loin with scallions.
Grapefruit slices, marinated artichoke hearts, kalamata olives and tomatoes.
I like to put out brunch dishes and let people serve themselves. Sort of take what you fancy.
Wonderfully spicy Malbec wine from Wine and Bean shop in Old Town.
***
The potatoes were a bit underwhelming. If I did this menu again I would roast them in the oven longer. Potatoes aside, the conversation was fun, and the company was great. One day, I'll have a super big kitchen again, larger than the size of a ship's galley, and then watch out...

No comments:

Post a Comment