Monday, February 7, 2011

"It's the Super Bowl, we can't eat salad..."

According to my boyfriend, the Super Bowl is no time for dieting.  We decided to recreate the Korean fried chicken recipe again from Saveur magazine.  This time I added a little more red chili pepper powder to the sauce.  Yum!  The combination of corn starch-flour-water and double-frying technique creates a special crunch missing from regular Buffalo wings.  We picked up 1.8 lbs of chicken wings from Lotte for under $12.  The only downside was having to separate and cut the wings into pieces, but it meant I had plenty of wing tips to roast and make a nice broth with.
 After the first 6 minutes of frying.
 After the second 6 minutes of frying, the wings turn a lovely brown color.
 Toss the wings in the sauce (I should have made much more).
 I also prepared a small roasted potato with roasted garlic and scallions, some carrot and celery sticks, a chunk of blue cheese and roasted garlic cloves.
 Fresh kimchee.
Korean-style bean sprouts.
***
It's a really good thing we went to the gym earlier in the day.  We didn't really care which team won, but it was fun to watch and eat some football food with a twist.  I think I liked the commercials the best.

1 comment:

  1. The day after was almost better as the flavor permeated the skin.

    My entire office was chicken wing fresh!

    ReplyDelete