Monday, September 3, 2012

Virtue Grain and Feed

For an impromptu dinner during the middle of the work week, we headed over to Virtue Grain and Feed in Old Town. Perhaps due to the early hour or being the last week of August, we were quickly seated downstairs. 
While the decor is relaxed, the leather loveseats are a little too relaxed and when I sat on one, I sank down low. My sweet husband was kind enough to switch seats with me and I was much more comfortable on the chair across the table. I watched another table of older women discover the loveseats and ask for them to be exchanged for chairs. Smart ladies.
 We started off with cocktails and the cheese plate. 
All of the cheeses were nice, especially the blue.
 Bread basket with Irish butter ($3)
I liked the olive bread and rosemary bread the best. 
 Mussels with tomato, basil and beer. ($9.50)
I ordered the steamed mussels from the appetizers list with a side of chips (fries) for my dinner. However, the server made a mistake and sent out  the mussels on their own and a long time before my husband's fish. The server was occupied with the other tables of older patrons, and ignored us until after the fish was delivered, a looong time later.
 Crispy whole red snapper with orange gremolata ($22)
The fish was very nicely cooked, but it is not served with anything, so make sure to order some side dishes.
He's very hungry and anxious for me to snap my picture so he can start eating the fish.
Green beans with garlic and chips. The chips were thick cut and would have been a little crisper, and arriving with the mussels.
A lot of the menu is a little on the heavier side, which I prefer to eat during the fall and winter, not during the heat of August. I guess we'll have to try again another time, perhaps at lunchtime or for brunch instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment