Friday, January 7, 2011

Cooking Korean at Home

I'm an adopted Korean.  Cooking a mushroom lasagne with bechamel? No problem.  Cooking Korean foods? erm...  Luckily Annandale is close by with a lot of tasty, affordable and authentic Korean restaurants.  After trying out a good variety of dishes, I've become more familiar with the flavors and decided to tackle cooking a Korean meal.  I made bibimbap and gochujeon.
 Bibimbap Assembly.  You can use any vegetables you have on hand, the key is hot rice and kochujang (spicy red chili paste).
 Look how pretty.  Bean sprouts, marinated ground beef, mushrooms, bok choy and carrots.
 Top the bowl with a fried egg.  When you're ready to eat, mix everything up together.
GoChujeon - stuffed green peppers.
I picked up a bag of green peppers at Super H.  They looked like the spicy ones my boyfriend likes.  These were sweet though.  One day I'll read labels.  I found a recipe online for Korean stuffed peppers.  I slit the peppers, cleaned out the seeds, then put cooked spicy ground beef inside.  Dusted in flour, the peppers were cooked on a layer of egg, and steamed a bit like pan-fried dumplings.  The dipping sauce was soy with some rayu (chili sesame oil). 
My boyfriend loved it, and there was enough leftover to make 2 lunch bentos.  Since the Florida cookies and restaurant bonanza, we've been trying to eat lighter and more economically.  This was both. 

1 comment:

  1. I was lucky enough to experience this dish. I am closer to nirvana because of this.

    ReplyDelete