Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Great food, depth-defyingly low service.

I love introducing friends to places they've never been before. I especially enjoy providing more reasons to cross the river into the suburbs of Virginia. It's really not that scary over here, I promise :) After a sultry Ashtanga yoga session, my fellow food-loving yogis and I headed to Bangkok 54 on Columbia Pike. http://www.bangkok54restaurant.com/ I like that the flavors are fresh and the curries have a nice level of heat. It's not dumbed-down and Americanized. Additionally you can find something delicious for the carnivores, the omnivores, the pescatarians and the vegetarians.
Pad Thai with Shrimp ($12.95)
Green Curry with Tofu ($8.95)
Green Curry with Shrimp ($12.95)
Massamun Curry with Tofu ($8.95)
Stir-fried Spicy Eggplant ($8.95)
Mango with Sticky Rice - luscious, ripe mango with sticky rice topped with coconut milk
***
Unfortunately, our experience was marred by a subpar server. Maybe she was new? Our tod mun appetizer and tom ka soup never materialized. She would not substitute fresh tofu for the fried tofu in the curry, which I know they will do. Trying to get change for a $20 reached increasing levels of "are you kidding me?"
Next time, if I'm not sipping on a flaming Mai Tai, I'd be tempted to order carryout. I love the green curry, actually any curry there. Definitely skip the salt and pepper calamari. It does not do justice to the rest of the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment