Sunday, November 13, 2011

Bangkok 54

My fiance has always said that he's not a big fan of Thai food in the area. I think it's because he hasn't gone to some of the better quality places. There's mediocre Thai around Old Town, but a short trip to Columbia Pike and it's a different world. Since we were working on a federal holiday, we headed out from our offices right at quitting time. We made it to Bangkok 54 in time for their happy hour specials, including discounted drinks and small plates.
 Grilled Beef Salad
Nice flavor profile, with a hit of fish sauce, spice, cilantro and red onion.
 Tom Yum Soup with Seafood
He would have preferred if the soup had a spicier kick to it. His mom has a recipe I need to try and learn.
 Spicy Mixed Seafood
The scallops were great, although I'm not a super fan of squid cut like this.
Green Curry with Shrimp
I love a good green curry, the sweetness of the coconut along with a spicy kick. This version was good but would have been nicer if a bit spicier.
Basil and chili fried rice with shrimp
***
The servers were really pleasant and attentive. For the first time, I sat over in the lounge area. Very comfortable banquette table and it was not as loud as the other side. Another time, I'd like to order the whole fish with chilies and garlic.  It was a nice change of pace, although for super spicy food, Korean soon dubu is still my go-to. With a comfortable experience and good Thai classics, the best feedback was my fiance finally liked a Thai place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment